Know Bhutan – Some Tips
When you are in Rome, be a Roman. So goes the adage. Here is some information, which would make your trip beautiful and comfortable.
- Unlike some culture, it is not uncommon for Bhutanese to look you in the eye and smile. You can do the same.
- Almost all Bhutanese speak English. Thus, asking for guidance is not considered offensive.
- Some may not be very comfortable to see you photograph them. Just seek their permission.
- Bhutanese meals are hot, with a lot of spices, especially chilies.
- Remove your shoes when you enter a temple (lhakhang).
- Carry less cash, lest you lose it. Visa Cards are accepted at most places.
- Dogs are a nuisance at night. So bring along ear buds.
- Bhutanese hotels mainly have the Asian plug point. So bring along the three pin western one.
- Bhutanese do not refer to the Prime Minister’s wife as First Lady.
- It is a Bhutanese tradition to tip.
- Bhutanese will refer to people as “sir” and “madame.”